Support for Caregivers
Caregivers play an important role in the wellbeing of the person diagnosed with dementia.
The role of a caregiver is often a family member or several family members, who are unpaid and typically untrained for this role. It can also be difficult for caregivers to take care of themselves or find support to help maintain their level of commitment to caregiving.
We have gathered some information to help support you during this time.
Create a Routine
- Having a routine can help you feel in control and reduces stress
- Those living with dementia often thrive in a flexible routine
Accept Help from Others
- Set up calendars with family members
- Be specific about the type of help you need
- Keep a running list of questions for future doctor’s appointments
- Use “I” statements to communicate your needs and feelings
Take Care of Your Health
- Schedule regular medical visits for yourself
- Exercise, eat well, get enough sleep and find time to relax
- Keep an organized compiling of important documents, list of medications and medical records
- Use a calendar to keep track of appointments
Watch for Signs of Burnout or Depression
- Signs such as agitation, sleep disturbance, feelings of hopelessness and guilt and loss of energy or interest/pleasure
- Do not delay in seeking help- depression is common with caregiver stress
Biggs Institute: Support Groups
We offer a variety of free, online support groups for individuals with dementia and their loved ones to help support you.
Biggs Institute: Counseling
Our counselor is available to help provide support and tools for coping and handling a dementia diagnosis. Individual and family counseling are available.
Caring for the Caregiver
Resources for family caregivers of people living with dementia by the UT Health San Antonio School of Nursing. The program works to improve quality of life for caregivers through classes, workshops and social events.
Family Caregiver Alliance
Caregiver resources available in different languages.
National Institute of Health
Learn self-care techniques and ways you can cope and prepare as a caregiver to a person with dementia.
Wellmed Caregiver Support
Get connected to resources to help reduce stress and stay informed about caregiving for someone with dementia.
Alamo Caregiver Empowerment – ACE
Learn about resources available to family caregivers.