The purpose of this study is to identify the early indicators that can help us distinguish future healthy aging from dementia.
Why should I participate in this study?
For this study, we are enrolling 200 participants so we can:
- Identify useful biological markers for brain vessel diseases, as these diseases can contribute to cognitive impairment and dementia.
- Learn more about which biomarkers are better suited for adults of Mexican-American origin living in South Texas.
- Provide valuable insight for future clinical trials on cognitive impairment and dementia.
How do I know if I qualify to participate?
To participate in this study, you must be:
- Aged 55 years or older
- Self-identified as a Mexican-American
- Currently living in the San Antonio area
What will I do as a clinical research participant?
As a participant, you will have two visits one year apart.
At your first clinical visit you will undergo:
- Clinical and sensorimotor assessments
- Memory and thinking tests
- Blood tests
- A picture of your retina (eye)
- A brain scan
- An optional lumbar puncture (If you choose to not have a lumbar puncture, you will still be able to participate in the main study.)
About a year after your first visit, we will repeat the tests performed at the initial visit to evaluate how your brain health changed over time.
You may receive up to $300 for participating in this research study.
Who will have access to my information?
Your information will be kept private and maintained in a secure database.