Neuropsychology is the study of brain-behavior relationships such as memory and emotions.
A neuropsychology appointment is often requested to help with diagnosis, review cognitive abilities and guide treatment plans. Our team of neuropsychologists specialize in cognitive and behavioral changes related to illness, injury and psychiatric disorders.
A neuropsychology appointment will provide:
- An understanding if cognitive or behavioral changes are from normal aging or a neurodegenerative disease such as Alzheimer’s or other dementias.
- Specialized treatment plans with services to help the patient and family adjust to changes.
- Supportive conversations on current and future care needs, including living arrangements and safety.
- A baseline evaluation to review future cognitive and behavioral changes.
What to expect
The appointment will consist of an interview and cognitive testing.
- Interviews may take up to an hour. Family members are invited to the interview to help provide additional insight into the patient’s background and daily activity.
- Testing may take two to four hours.
- Testing will evaluate behavior, language, visual and spatial relationships, memory, planning, mental speed and control, motor skills and intelligence.
During the appointment
Our neuropsychologist will measure:
- General intellect
- Thinking skills such as reasoning and problem solving
- Attention and concentration
- Memory and learning
- Motor and sensory skills
- Mood and behavior
After the appointment, our neuropsychologists will compare the results to those of healthy individuals from similar backgrounds. This evaluation will identify how well areas of the brain are functioning.
The results will then be shared with the patient, their family and health care team.
To receive copies of the report, call our medical records department at 210-450-9760.
How to prepare for the appointment
Before the appointment, get a good night’s sleep and have a healthy meal before arrival.
To the appointment bring:
- All mailed paperwork
- Any prior neuropsychological reports
- Eyeglasses and hearing aids
- Snacks and drinks to maintain stamina
- Insurance and co-payment
For more information or to schedule an appointment,
Meet our neuropsychologists
A. Campbell Sullivan, PSYD, ABPP-CN