Genetic counseling and testing
A genetic counseling appointment is a supportive and guided discussion to address questions or concerns on a patient’s genetic risk for a disease.
What to expect at your consultation
During the consultation, our genetic counselor will:
- Talk with you about your personal and family medical history.
- Provide information on the potential impact of genetic testing, including possible need for specialized healthcare.
- Provide information on the genetic test options available to you.
- Act as your patient advocate by listening to your needs and concerns regarding your inherited risks.
What to expect after your genetic test
After your genetic test results are available, our genetic counselor will:
- Review the results of the tests with you and answer your questions.
- Offer you supportive counseling, if needed.
- Help you inform family members who may also be at risk.
- Provide you with more information or referrals to local resources.
For more information or to schedule an appointment,
What will we do to prevent dementia in our lifetime? Everything it takes.
As a person diagnosed with dementia or as a person willing to help us find new leading-edge treatments for dementia, there are many ways you can do whatever it takes to power research for the 55 million people living with dementia.